The site of the ruins of Oliver Mill was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000 as the Muttock Historic and Archeological District. Peter Oliver erected a forge and slitting mill on the dam that was constructed in 1744 on the Nemastic River. The iron foundry, called Oliver’s furnace was located just below the dam. The sketch is of the Nemastic Street Bridge located on the site of the original dam built after the Indians left in the early 173o’s. The water of the Nemastic River appeared to be ink black against the backdrop of white snow. Micron pens, Pelikan watercolors in an Alpha series Stillman and Birn Sketchbook.