The Bristol County Superior Courthouse was designed by architect Frank Irving Cooper from nearby Bridgewater and built in 1894 in the Romanesque-style. The stone structure contains a 170-foot tall central tower capped with a copper dome. The building’s large hip roof is also entirely clad in copper. The dome was originally topped with a large copper flame, which was taken down in the recent past for fear that it may fall. The superior courthouse is the fourth courthouse to be located on or near this site since 1747, when Taunton became the shire town (country seat) for Bristol County, Massachusetts after Bristol was split off from the Bay State and became part of Rhode Island. Stylist marker with Faber Castell Pitt pens in a Stillman and Birn Sketchbook.