A detailed view of the building that our client is moving into the ground floor. In 1893 the Mendelssohn Glee Club, a group of all-male singers, moved into their grand new concert venue, Mendelssohn Hall at 119 West 40th Street. Lewisohn had received a building loan of $1.1 million from the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company to erect a skyscraper on the site of the Hall. The proposed 22-story structure that would stretch through the block from West 40th Street to 41st Street. While the architects refrained from over-embellishing the bulk of the structure, they added Gothic touches to the upper-most and lower floors; most striking being the carved figures along the fourth story cornice. The sculptures, dressed in medieval garb, all sit with their ankles crossed under Gothic terra cotta canopies. Each is a detailed allegory – Exploration holds a globe and compass, Industry has a large gear and Learning reads an open book, for instance. Faber-Castell Pitt black pens with Holbein watercolors in a Stillman and Birn Sketchbook.
1913 Lewisohn Building – New York CIty